It was built between 1914 and 1929 as the main building of the Ibero-American Exposition of 1929. Made by the architect Anibal González, it is the largest building of those that were erected in the city throughout the 20th century. The square has a semi-elliptical shape, which symbolizes the embrace of Spain to its former American territories, and looks towards the Guadalquivir River as a way forward to America. The construction is made with exposed brick and has a wide and spectacular ceramic decoration made in the artisan workshops of Triana. In its semicircle, we find 48 banks to represent all the provinces of the country and four bridges that cross the estuary, which symbolize the ancient four kingdoms of the Iberian Peninsula.